For instance, Traveling around the world is a fantasy for many people. Through planning and saving, this fantasy can become a reality. Many travelers consider how much money they’d need for a trip and the lengths of flights. Additionally, travelers also make considerations of the safety of cities they are visiting and the weather in their destinations. Moreover, most travelers do not factor in is the sleep quality they ought to have during their travel experience. Research shows that more than fifty percent of travelers do not get a good night’s sleep while traveling. Inadequate sleep is a sure way to ruin your stay in your dream destination. Sleep deprivation can cause fatigue and frustration. Seven continuous hours of sleep is ideal for a happy and comfortable trip.
Firstly, when traveling, you can enhance the quality of your sleep by reducing blue light exposure in the evening and increasing bright light exposure during the day. Secondly, travelers can also avoid consuming caffeinated products late at night. Caffeine can interfere with your good night’s sleep if consumed in large amounts in the evening.
Factors Contributing To A Good Night’s Sleep
The Mental And Physical Well-Being
Research carried out in mental health has shown that individual sleep habits are directly related to their emotional and physical state. A traveler’s mental state will contribute towards a good night’s sleep. In the case of an illness or any physical pain, one’s physical well-being can also be negatively affected. Anxiety and emotional stress can also lead to insomnia which hinders a good night’s sleep.
An environment that one is not used to might mean disrupted sleep. This depends on one’s sensitivity to the new environment. Moreover, noise from the city could mean that sleep quality is reduced. Room temperature, neighborhood environment, green space, ventilation, and light can influence a good night’s sleep. For some people, sharing a space or even a bed can mean sleep deprivation.
There is a relationship between sleep and the mode of accommodation that a traveler chooses. The need for a good night’s sleep informs the decision to book a hotel. For instance, decorations in hotels can be done in a way that enhances their visitor’s sleep. Good hotels are architecturally structured to accommodate sleep needs.
Items to consider when packing before traveling to enhance your sleep
- Earplugs and eye masks
- A smartphone that can track your sleep
- Beddings including traveling pillows
Cities that enable a good night’s sleep and well-being of their residents and tourists
- Amsterdam, Netherlands – Ranks highly in both mental and physical well-being
- Glasgow, United Kingdom – Houses lots of cultural institutions such as Opera and Scotland Theater
- Auckland, New Zealand – Offers beautiful landscapes and volcanic hills.
- Dublin, Ireland – Rich history of alcoholic drinks, suitable for parties.
- Stockholm, Sweden – Trends in various contrasts such as music and fashion.
- Liverpool, United Kingdom – Ranks 3rd in UK’s sleep forecast score with 65% score.
- Ottawa, Canada – Ranks highly for tourist destinations globally.
- Queensland, Australia – Offers great ports, reefs and beaches for relaxation.
Some of the cities in the US that are known for good night’s sleep
- Austin, Texas – Famed for its nightlife, mostly known as the “drunkest city in the US”
- San Diego, California – Offers ideal climates with vast beaches for amazing relaxation.
- Kansas City, Missouri – Consider “Barbecue Capital” offers great cuisine for food lovers.
- Minneapolis, Minnesota – Offers scenic lakeside trails suitable for jogging and biking.
- Washington, DC – Best known as the US capitol, great place to experience US culture and history.
The Bottom Line
A good night’s sleep is important in meeting all your traveling goals. Sleep is the largest contributor to your mood hence the quality of your travel. Most importantly, sleep also affects your emotions and ability to interact. Also, A good night’s sleep ought to be put into consideration when picking a city to travel to. Being informed on how the general sleep pattern of the city you’ll be visiting can enable preparation. In conclusion, proper travel preparations and research translates to a good night’s sleep.